Monday, May 3, 2010

My Accessories

Recently I learned how curious people are. I've had to add an accessory or two to manage to be able to go out in public. Somedays, I use a wheelchair since my fatigue can make it pretty hard to get things done. And somedays, most days, I have portable oxygen. I am sure almost everyone has seen someone in a wheelchair or with O2 at some point in their life, but each look I get is as if its a new thing. And I understand. Curiosity, as innocent as it may be, can sometimes be cruel.
Most people will look once, then twice, then keep going. But others, and I'm surprised to say this, but older people can be the worst. They stare. If they had laser eyes I'd be fried! I want people to ask me why I'm being wheeled around. I look perfectly healthy on the outside- if you don't notice the clubbed toes and fingers from years of lack of O2. So I can understand questioning-why is she being wheeled around? And the oxygen isn't easy to hide either. While some days I can mask the tank under my purse there are days when all I carry is the oxygen. Its a distraction from what we are taught to look at when talking to someone-their eyes. I even did the "stare" before I was in this position. Its all curiousity, and thats okay....but ask. The other day in a store a little girl asked , "Mommy, why is that lady being pushed in a chair? And whats that thingy on her face?" I just smiled. I could tell the Mom was embarrassed, she mouthed "sorry" to me, and told her daughter "Its not nice to stare. She doesn't feel well." And ya know, the Mom nailed it on the head. I don't feel well.
I hope people can become educated about Cystic Fibrosis enough so that one day when I say "I have Cystic Fibrosis" they can say "Oh! I know all about it. Its genetic right?And it affects your lungs and pancreas mainly. How are you doing?" This month is Cystic Fibrosis awareness month and I encourage those who don't feel they know enough about it to do some research. The most informative site is http://www.cff.org/ With all kinds of questions and answers. And if your a new Mom or a Mom-to-be, make sure your child is evaluated for it!...annnnd HAPPY EARLY MOTHER'S DAY! =)

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I think about you and pray for you!
    Allison
    (Jenn's high school friend)

    ReplyDelete