Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Quaqmire

Ever feel like your life is a cartoon? I'm starting too. I woke up one day, about September 20th, feeling very very itchy. My face felt like I had a bunch of cotton balls stuffed inside so tight I could barely smile. When Jon woke up shortly after me, his look said it all. I ran to the bathroom mirror to see my face looked just like Quaqmire's!!! I immediately thought I was having an allergic reaction to something, but nothing had changed medication or food wise. I had been on a new cottage cheese kick for about a week before-so no way those little curds were just now showing their evil side. Then I thought it was my kidneys. Was I retaining fluid? The swelling wasn't pitted (meaning if I pushed on it it didn't stay that way). So before I called clinic, I called my Mom.
She said she thought it was the Prednisone, to watch the swelling, and drink a lot of fluids. So I did, and the swelling went down real quick. Then, about 5 days later, after having a few days of random swollen feet, my feet got HUGE after eating and playing at the playground with my little cousin. This time, the pain was a little ridiculous-it felt like I had fire ants on my feet. My cheeks were sore, but not as bad as they have gotten since.I find my cheeks puffing up at odd times-when I'm hot, nervous, or eat anything! They swell so much, I can barely see out of my eyes. Jon says it doesn't look as bad as I think, but he's my husband-they signed a contract to make us feel beautiful. So now, I have puffy cheeks and feet, and now my hands want to start in on the fun!
After talking to clinic, my blood work was awesome (meaning kidneys okay) and my bronchoscopy came back good as well (meaning I can taper down the Predinosone). This is FABULOUS news because I truly believe that little devil of a pill is the problem. Though it took 3 months to show its true colors, it has been working for me obvioulsy, since the lungs appear to be okay.
My only wish now, is that I don't feel so uncomfortable in my body. I knew body changes were coming, just as they had when I got sick. But this is getting hard to deal with at times. Crowds seem to be staring, just as when I was on oxygen and in a wheelchair. Food seems to be an issue again, can't over eat or my stomach will hurt, but need to gain weight. And my clothes still don't fit, either they are too big or too small. I suppose when you say "Yes, I want to breathe like everyone else", you also say "I know I'm trading one set of issues for another". And I'm okay with that-because I love breathing! I just need to get comfortable so I can see people again without feeling the burden of stares they throw.
I also found out I can write a letter to my donor's family. As far as starting that letter, I'm at a block. How do you thank someone for giving you life and taking someone from them? Where do I begin? Thank you is so empty feeling these days. Once I get it going, I'm sure it will be easy- but right now I'm stupified.
Ok ladies and gents, I think thats all for right now...Hope everyone is enjoying this gorgeous Florida weather...and keep praying for those GATORS! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment