Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Last 3 days...

Wow... A lot has happened in the last 3 days, and not all the best of news either. I got the "call" from Tampa General after they had their meeting about whether or not to list me. I was told health wise I was the absolute perfect candidate. But, due to insurance, I'd have too many issues. The good news I took from that was my body is strong enough for the surgery, which means chances of a smooth recovery will be really good. My insurance is something that since I was little, no matter what type I had, has always given me problems. With transplant, the issue is not enough medicinal coverage. A lot of the medication post-transplant HAS to be name brand drugs.  Science just has not caught up yet with generics.

So when I was granted "Medicaid" we thought it was the share of costs (SOC), and everything would be fine. But it wasn't. I was granted full blown Medicaid, which I do not qualify for in any way. Ironically, this hurt me instead of benefited me. I won't be able to be listed until I have share of cost Medicaid, which got updated as of Friday morning (woot woot!) The share of cost, for those who don't know, is when I have prescriptions that exceed a certain amount of my income then Medicaid will cover the entire month's bill. Now that is pretty easy for me, seeing as one drug is $1,916 and another is $3,000. Those are the high dollar ones. We're hoping since its been updated and changed I will be able to be listed now. I guess I'll find out sometime this week? Otherwise, I need to wait until Jon's insurance at work is upgraded in June, which may then go into effect in July. Sheesh! I swear, if you weren't born into the madness that is the medical and insurance field, then you could get so lost and drown in it. It's sad, thinking of those who do.

On another note, Friday was also kind of rough because I had had a horrible stomachache for days. (Actually it started the Sunday before, but I dealt with it). I'm going to get personal here, but I think it's important that people know what patients with C.F. have to go through - as graphic and unpleasant as it can get. This stomachache was not getting better, if anything worse. I was going to the bathroom regularly, just not completely. This can be pretty common in CF'ers. Cystic Fibrosis is an over-production of mucous and it is not limited to the lungs. It affects every organ. So, I had an intestinal blockage. Painful...very, very painful. After going to the doctor, because I was vomiting now because I was so impacted, I had to get 3 enemas. NOT fun. In fact, horrible. I also had to drink this icky purple stuff that tasted like what I assume battery acid and grape soda taste like. This caused mayhem...but in the end I felt better. Thank God I have a Mommy who pushes me to my edge sometime, because after enema #1 I was ready to give up. My insides felt like they were going to explode!

After that long, treacherous day I slept almost 11 hours straight. I was so physically exhausted I was in tears. Its so odd how your mind can be completely fine and positive, and your body wants to do something completely opposite. I guess that's what keeps you going though. The positive thinking. The prayers. And of course, knowing my Dad was wanting to take me on the boat the next day. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment