Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The gift of breathing

This blog was born out of my desire to inform, to journal and to share my experience with Cystic Fibrosis. I am praying for the gift of a lifetime.The gift of breathing. I hope that you will join me on my journey. It might be a bumpy one, but it will literally be the ride of my life! 

Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is a progressive lung disease and in the United States affects over 30,000 families. My family is one of them. At the age of 9 months, I was diagnosed with CF and my mother was told I may not make it past the age of 5. With all of the medical challenges put before us, my family and I fought hard to get me to where I am today. I’m 26, I’ve graduated college, have a career and I am happily married. As wonderfully blessed as I have been, I’m now reaching a new crossroad in my life: double lung transplant.

Once I am put on the transplant list, I am told that it is, on average, about a 3 month wait.  Being all of 5'2" and 95 lbs, I, however, will need pediatric lungs.  This saddens me because I know that my life will continue because a child's ended.  But, I vow to live that life to the max.  To not waste this amazing gift and to make that child proud!  But, because of the type of lungs I need, my wait could, unfortunately, be longer. 

This procedure is my second chance at life. There are hurdles left to overcome and more that will undoubtedly appear.  Our biggest hurdle to being placed on the transplant list right now is fund raising.  Insurance is a wonderful yet frustrating thing.  Transplant is partly covered, but the costs for medication and some treatments far exceeds what is/will be covered.  But hurdle or not, I refuse to let my second chance at life pass me by.  I am scared, anxious, nervous, ready and going to wait as long as I need to for my second chance! Look out world, here I come!

Unfortunately this is something that plaques so many in-need patients.  Please consider organ donation and fund raising for myself, for the many other in need patients out there or for a loved one that you may know.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment