Friday, July 16, 2010

Surgey...once again!

So yesterday was my Nisan procedure. But the day before I began the prep. That was SO not fun.I tried to do the full prep requirements, which includes drinking a bottle of Magnesium Citrate (i.e-liquid saline laxative) and an Enema. Well I did good- I drank 3/4of the Mag, but then that was it. It came right out the top. So of course, my first thought is that I couldv'e aspirated. So they stopped having me drink immediately. The next step was the Enema. I told them my Enema history of vommitting then too. (I'm so lady-like). So they called the surgeon to ask if it was ok that I don't do the Enema...but it wasn't. And I had a feeling it wouldn't be. Thank goodness, once again, my Mom was to the rescue! She gave it to me instead of a nurse to save me some humiliation. It worked, but I had to do 2 because I wasn't as empty as they wanted. All the while, I'm nervous thinking about the surgery and the risks-some of which I felt weren't complete expressed until the night before. Risks included: perfertion of stomach, bowel leaking which can cause me to go toxic, excess gas causing the need for a chest tube, and aspiration into lungs. So scary! Of course I adore my new lungs...I don't want to ruin them. So these risks, as scary as they sound, had to outweigh the risk of aspirating into my new babies. After a few cries, I was reassured several times by the docs,nurses, and a new CF friend, Emily that things would be fine. I began to feel a little better in the morning.
Jon and Mom were trying to be comforting, but I was so wound up nothing they said was working. So I whipped out the coloring book and colored until the came and got me. Nothing quite like art therapy! We went down stairs (or up?) and thye wheeled my bed right into the O.R....I was not expecting that! I thought I was going to a pre-op holding area. Instead, wide awake with no glasses I was brought into the O.R room. I actually was a little more calm when I saw Dr.Rosemurgy and Dr.Shah. In the OR, usually the nurses are the ones who try to reassure you and keep you calm and tell you everything will be ok-but not this time. Dr. R and Dr.S did it all. Dr. S was very very kind and promised me he would take the best of care of me. And they did.
When I woke up in recovery I was in so much pain I started crying out! I didn't even feel that much pain after lung transplant! The worst part was I was asking for a nurse..and I was basically tucked in a corner without my glass and in pain, and no one could hear me for what felt like 5 mintues. Finally when the nurse came she asked if I was in pain?! I wanted to tell her "no I'm crying because I LIKE this!" Sheeh! Well apparently they were giving me Morphine the whole time, but it was not working at all. So they gave me Diloted instead- and it took the edge off..but not enough! When I got back to the room I started crying because it hurt so bad. Stupid move, because then crying hurt lol...I was screwed! Then, just as I was promised, the CO2 that's released when the stomach is operated on went straight to my shoulders and neck. That made sleeping in a comfortable postion nearly impossible. They also had taking my Fentynal patch away-which I had been with since June 19th! So pain was unbareable. They called and upped the dose and gave me a happy button. But to be honest I don't think ANY pain meds would have helped. Funny thing, the incision is in my belly button-super tiny-but the insides that got cut up were still very much alive and in pain. Dr.R even gave me extra Lidocaine inside in hopes that it would be ok, but it didn't last that long. So last night, due to the pain meds, when I'd have to pee I woke up in almost a panic attack. The first time, I literally jumped out of bed, unplugged, untangled, and disconnected everything and RAN to the restroom...it wasn't until I went to go back to bed that I realized "oh yeah-I'm hurting!" So getting in bed was awful. Mom didn't wake then either-funny because I even had the bright light on! Well, this "emergency bathroom breaks" lasted all night..every 1 1/2 hrs. So it was a restless night. Since Wednesday I've been on a clear liquid diet, plus contiunous I.V. fluids...so go figure I loved the potty! I think we guessed I put out about 2,000 ml over night! Sucked!
Anyway, today started rough-pain was still pretty intense. When Dr.Rolfe came by I told him, and of course I got teary eyed (damn Predinsone,Pain, and no sleep). And he kindly raised my dose of Diloted. After getting that, and my Fentyal patch back I'm finally able to get up and down without screaming. But I'm trying to ween off the pain pump so that I go potty (#2) and make the docs happy enough to where I can go home. Surgeon already said he doesn't need to keep me here anymore and I'll see him in a week whether its here or coming from home (I'm hoping the latter). Dr.Rolfe is waiting/wanting to get me home. So today I started back on clear liquids (after being NPO since Wednesday night). This means no pills by mouth...which also means if it doesn't come in IV form, or can be crushed, then I have to drink it. UGHHGHHHGHG So, I felt like I was on tube feed all over again. Good things is I don't feel hungry because of the bloating from surgery. I just had to drink these 2 things and let me tell you! It burned like fire going down my throat..so hopefully once this passes I'll be peachy. Fingers crossed for a bowel movement so I can go home!
And to anyone who is going to the Golf Tournament tomorrow- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I wish I could be there to show you the amazing difference and how excited I am to be able to have a beautiful 2nd chance at life. I hope you all have a blast, wear sunscreen, win some prizes! =) LOVE YA GUYS!

2 comments:

  1. I had a lot of pain after my Nissan too, getting up and down in bed was the worst!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! You've been through so much and I'm praying for you! HUGS!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete